Now that we are in the midst of a heat wave,it is important that we all remember that due to the smaller body sizes and having fur coats our pets succumb to over heating more quickly than humans.
Some important tips for us all ;
- Walk dogs at the cooler parts of the day.
- If using transport make sure journeys aren’t too long and keep the car well ventilated.
- Don’t leave an animal in any parked vehicle in this heat.
- Use a shallow paddling pool to allow dogs to cool off as they want or use damp towels to help keep cool.
- Make sure rabbit hutches and runs have adequate shade.
- Allow cats to have shade and if sun worshippers, apply factor 50 barrier sun screen to their ear tips if they are pale.
- Try investing in a “cool coat ” for you dog to wear, this is one website selling them but we have no experience directly with this site, http://www.keepcool.org.uk/dog%20coats.htm
- Keep animals coats trimmed short
- Excessive panting
- Bloody faeces
If you are worried about your pet having heat stroke try and cool it down by wrapping it in a damp cool towel to cool it down immediately and phone us as soon as possible.
Here are some links to other sites for information
Enjoy the sunshine and keep our pets safe